Friday 18 July 2014

Salted Caramel Butter Bars

I cannot tell you enough how good these bars are. They went down an absolute storm with my colleagues. I made them as I was getting a bit naughty with a tub of salted caramel in my fridge, When I started spooning it out the tub into my mouth I decided enough was enough! So I made something I could take to work and it was gone within minutes.
















Salted Caramel Butter Bars (from Cookies and Cups)

450g butter
225g caster sugar
188g icing sugar
2 tbsp vanilla 
500g self-raising flour
1 jar salted caramel sauce
 
Preheat the oven to 160°C
 
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat until combined. Sift the flour into the butter mixture and fold in with a metal spoon.
 
Spray a 23cm x 33cm baking pan lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Press one-third of the dough evenly into the pan to form a bottom crust. Wrap remaining dough in cling film and chill in the fridge.
 
Bake the crust until firm and the edges are a pale golden brown about 20 mins. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let it cool for about 15 mins.
 
Pour the salted caramel sauce over the crust. 
 
Remove the remaining chilled dough from the refrigerator and crumble it evenly over the caramel.
 
Return the pan to the oven and bake for 25 - 30 mins until the filling is bubbly and the crumbled shortbread topping is firm and lightly golden.
 
Let cool before cutting into squares.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment